Jazzled!

It's my life...

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Saturday Shut Out


I got home from work to find my key didn’t fit. She’s only had the locks changed. I stood there banging on the door and yelling until Mrs Barnes came down from the top flat, but there was nothing she could do to help, although she did offer to make me a cup of tea before fading slowly upstairs again. I sat in the passage and waited thinking someone would have to come back soon, then I’d get in, but it was half eleven before Danny turned up alone. At least he had the decency to look ashamed.

Why did you do it, Danny?’ I asked.

‘Nothing to do with me,’ he said, ‘and anyway she’s pretty set against you at the moment – what could I do? You shouldn’t have pulled her onto the floor like that.’

‘That’s not what I meant,’ I said, ‘and anyway, did she look bothered? Why did you get involved with her? I don’t get it.’

‘That’s just it,’ he said, I’m not involved. She doesn’t want anything from me,no demands, no complications. She says I can come and go, fuck off when I like, I don’t have to love her.’

I was feeling sick again. ‘Just give me your key,’ I said, and he did. I went to my room, locked the door. Marz isn’t going to turn me out so easily. It’s cold out there tonight.