Jazzled!

It's my life...

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Close One


On edge today in case Danny rang. The odds were pretty thin but you never know. We’re s’posed to switch them off but of course I couldn’t and what happened but it rang Crazy Frog right in the middle of English. Ms Beckley had barely looked over the top of her glasses with her mouth open like a goldfish and ‘Bring that to m….’ when I was out the door and running along the corridor with my finger on the button gasping Danny, is that you and ‘Jazz, sorry Doll, it’s Pete.’

‘Pete?’ I said, ‘I don’t know any Petes, you’ve got the wrong number,’ and was just about to cut off when he said, ‘Pete, you know, Pete from the Day Centre, we had soup together,’ and 'What do you want?’ I’m saying and my stomach knotting up and me remembering I’ve had nothing since the spare ribs and chips Marz brought home last night and that I wished to hell I hadn’t eaten. And then he’s asking me to meet him and ‘No’ I’m saying, ‘I told you I had a boyfriend,’ and he’s going ‘Yeah, that crazy who went missing from the hospital,’ and ‘I might be able to help, meet me at the Centre any time today or tomorrow and don’t mind Calla, she gets jealous but I’ll keep her steady,’ and I can’t take it all in as I’m seeing the red feather boa woman all swelled up and floating on the sea and this guy Pete sitting astride and steering her with a paddle, but I say OK to shut him up and cut the mobile off and wonder if he straight up or handing me a line.

And then there’s nothing to do but go to the centre and see what he’s got to say even tho I’m thinking he can’t know a thing about Danny but what’s been in the paper but I can’t take a chance on that.

When I get there he’s sitting outside on the steps, trench coat, black knitted hat, leather gauntlets and cowboy boots same as yesterday. Probably the only stuff he’s got. Mind you I was in my puffy jacket again, but pink and silver striped tights this time tho, and my black mini instead of the pink one. He looked at me funny.

‘OK,’ I said, ‘what’s it all about?’ just wanting to find out if he knows anything and get away from there.

‘Where’re you kipping down, Doll?’ he says, ‘it must be pretty fucking good with you got up like that,’ and I’m thinking, hey, you might have my number but I’m not telling you, Mister, so I turn on him and hiss that if he doesn’t have any stuff on Danny I’m out of here. The next thing I know he’s grabbed my wrist and I’m trying to get away but he’s a big guy and strong with it. I aim a kick at his shin and jerk my arm and leg it down the street and I can hear him laughing as I run, then a woman’s voice yelling ‘FUCK OFF, YOU LITTLE SLUT.’ I’ve just gotta find Danny soon.