Jazzled!

It's my life...

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Lucky Day?


Marz didn’t come back last night. I sat at the kitchen table wondering where she was and how to get the train fare to go and see Danny, then I remembered the cake tin under her bed where she keeps things she doesn’t want me to know about. There’s never much interesting in it, usually just her vibrator and condoms, and I don’t know why she wants to keep me from seeing those. But I pulled it out anyway and tipped the lot on the duvet. I reckoned then it was my lucky day cos I found a twenty rolled up at the bottom. Lucky day? I should've known better.

There was nothing decent to eat in the place but I wasn’t going to spend it on food so I tipped some cocoa, peanut butter, syrup and some sultanas that I found in the back of the cupboard into a bowl and mixed it all up with a little hot water and cooked it in the microwave. It wasn’t half bad, but I ate too much of it and had to go and be sick again.

So there’s Jazz feeling a bit rough yet wanting to go and see Danny and wondering if she’ll make it to the station but in the end she gets into her puffy pink jacket and trainers and that seems to do the trick and she’s out the door.

It was midday by the time I’d walked from the station at the other end and I wandered about looking for him until one of the nurses grabbed me. I shook her off and gave her a mouthful but she marched me along to this office where some hard woman in a suit was trying to be busy in among a pile of papers.
‘Here she is,’ said the nurse, ‘I found her in the TV room looking for him.’
‘Ah,’ said the suit, no colour about her at all, not even lipstick to relieve the grey. Ms Monotone. ‘Please sit down young lady.’
Young lady! I mean! No one’s called me that since Mrs Parsons when I was seven. But I sat down anyway and waited to see what it was all about, wishing she’d get a move on so I could go and find Danny. I wasn’t ready for what she said though. It seems Danny disappeared sometime yesterday after tea. At first they just did a search, not too worried as Danny’s a bit elusive like, but when he couldn’t be found they called in the police to make a proper job of it. They turned the place over. No Danny. It seems someone remembered then that I was his only proper visitor and thought he might have run off to me. But not knowing who or where I was they’ve given my description to the bloody police! But, says the suit, you’re clearly no wiser than we are as to where Danny’s gone. Too right.

I was trying to think. Danny doesn’t know Mar’s address except for the town so he’d have a job finding me. Where would he go with no money or anything? They let me leave after asking a load of questions and taking my address – I made that up though, just in case Danny finds me and I need to keep him out of their way. What the hell am I going to do now?